ReviewsNo reviews yet
Experience the unique Jewish History of Alentejo on a Jewish Alentejo tour. Explore the culture and heritage of Portugal's Jewish presence in the Alentejo. This tour will trace the history of Jewish settlement and life in the region, examining the development of Jewish communities in the area and their contributions to the economy and society of Alentejo. Jewish Life in the Alentejo Region of Portugal: An Historical Perspective.
Exploring Jewish Alentejo: A Tour of Portugal's Historic Jewish Towns
Our Portuguese Crypto Jews Jewish Alentejo tours are in southern Portugal, known for its beautiful landscape and unique Alentejo Jewish past and traditions. But did you know it is also home to a unique Jewish heritage? This region of Portugal is fascinating in Jewish history, with a long and rich tradition of Jewish presence. This is a chance to learn about the rich and varied culture of the Jewish people who settled in this area over the centuries. It is known for its stunning landscapes, breathtaking coastline, and rich cultural heritage. However, it is also home to a long and proud Jewish history, which has shaped the region in many ways.
Jews have lived in this region since the Roman Empire, dating back to the Visigoth period. The Jewish legacy in Alentejo is still visible in the architecture, customs, and cuisine. Explore Jewish Alentejo history with our tour and discover the rich culture and people of this beautiful region of Portugal. Therefore we will visit the old Jewish quarter in Evora, the Synagogue in Castelo de Vide, and more. Our tour includes stops at historical sites, local museums, and a guided walk through the Jewish quarters.
This tour offers you an in-depth look into the past of the Jewish people who settled in Alentejo and how their culture and traditions influenced the region. In addition, you will learn that Jews arrived in the area as traders and settlers. And that over the centuries, Alentejo was home to various Jewish communities, including Sephardic Jews, Ashkenazi Jews, and Crypto-Jews. Finally, we will explore the Gotic Jewish Quarter in Valência de Alcantara, located on the Spanish-Portuguese border, one of the best-kept in Spain. So, enjoy a journey through time to discover Alentejo's Jewish past.
Private tour from 2.960€ for 2 persons
For more than 2 persons, please ask for a quote
- Pick up e Drop off
- Mandatory fees
- Wi-Fi on board
- Exclusive and specialized Guide/Driver
- Personalized transport in a luxury Mercedes vehicle, in safe & comfortable conditions
- All taxes
- Public liability and personal accidents insurance
- Visit to the synagogue of Castelo de Vide
- Visit to the Synagogue in Valencia de Alcantara
- Popular music group performance by Cante Alentejano
- Visit to Herdade do Esporão and wine tasting
- Visit to the cork factory
- Food and drinks, unless specified on Tour Includes
- Entrance fees, unless specified on Tour Includes
- Lisbon airport, hotel and cruise transfers to and from all destinations in Portugal
- Transport up to 8 adult passengers
- Free Wi-Fi in all vehicles
- Special rates for airport and cruise transfers
- We will meet you inside the airport terminal arrivals and holding a sign with your name written on it
- High quality service
- Contact us and let us know:
- Your name and destination
- Arrival / Departure Date
- Flight number
- Email: [email protected]
Changes and Cancellations by Real Embrace Portugal
Changes made by clients
Tour - several days
- Private – Our tours are always private (just you and guide/driver);
- Custom-made – The tour highlights are just suggestions of places to visit. The tour itinerary will be designed according to your preferences;
- Tour Lenght – Each day tour is designed to last approximately 8 hours (hotel-tour-hotel);
Schedule: flexible according to customers’ needs;
- Minimum group of 2 people and maximum 8 people;
- The values indicated are per person and vary depending on the number of people;
- For larger groups contact by email [email protected];
- Please contact us for advice about our accommodation options. We have a list of hotels based in local 3*, 4* and 5* Bed & Breakfasts and Boutique hotels throughout Portugal. We will provide you with suggestions so you can choose what best suits your budget;
Covid-19 Prevention Measures
- Covid-19 vaccination required for our guides;
- Our drivers have safety and health training;
- Hand sanitizer will be provided to passengers by driver every time before entering the vehicle;
- The driver will wear a face mask at all times and will keep a safe distance from customers avoiding close contact, handshakes, etc.;
- Luggage will only be handle with customers authorization;
- The driver will use sanitizing products to continually clean the main contact areas inside and outside the vehicle (handles,seat belts, etc.);
- For safety reasons our vehicles will not provide magazines and water bottles. We apologize for this inconvenience;
- Upon completion of each tour, our cleaning team will carry out a thorough cleaning with anti-bacterial products.
Day 1 - Overnight in Castelo de Vide Lisbon, Castelo de Vide
Travel from Lisbon to Castelo de Vide in the Alentejo area.
City tour of Castelo de Vide to include the Jewish quarter and Synagogue.
Here you will learn about the local Jewish history and culture.
Continue our visit to the Castle on the top of the hill, where we can see some Jewish architecture houses.
Day 2 - Overnight in Marvão Cabeço de Vide
We continue our tour to Marvão, a significant place regarding Portuguese Jewish history. Here we will visit the bridge that Jews crossed from Spain to Portugal in 1492, escaping from the Spanish Inquisition. After, we climb to the top of the hill to visit the Medieval village of Marvão.
Cabeço de Vide is a small town that was a vital Jewish community in the XIV century. Here we have some interesting local architecture.
Day 3 - Overnight in Evora Évora, Monsaraz
Today we travel to Marvão, a very ancient town steeped in history. Here we walk through the historic center, including the Jewish quarter. Visit the Gotic Jewish quarter on Valencia de Alcantara.
Day 4 - Overnight in Evora Monsaraz, Lisbon
Today our visit is to one of Portugal's most enchanting historical villages. Her beauty is in every corner; together, we can explore castles, lakes, scenery, history, and culture: food and wine.
After we return to Lisbon.
Day 5 - Lisbon